Quinoa, oats, nuts, and dried cranberries in a cookie makes them breakfast appropriate, post-workout ready, and diet friendly. And they are sweet enough that kids like them too! Whatever type of people are in your family, this is a cookie that works for all.
Sneaking protein-rich quinoa into baked treats boarders on genius, in my book anyways. I like a little bit of 'healthy' wherever I can get it.
Dark chocolate chunks and plump dried cranberries give them a definite sweetness. Almonds are toasted before used, to intensify their crunch and flavor.
They bake up nice and chewy, and make about two dozen very substantially sized cookies. I had two after a long run, which satisfied both a sweet tooth, and a need for a bit of carbs with staying power. They should keep well for a few days, but I doubt they will last that long.
Quinoa, what else can we sneak you in?
Continue to Recipe...
Recipe: Choco-Cran Quinoa Cookies
Adapted from Bon Apetit Jan 2012
Serves 2 dozen large cookies
Time 45 minutes + cook time
1 1/2 cups (185g) flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (115g) butter, room temp
1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (85g) honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
3/4 cup (100g) dried cranberries
1/2 cup (100g) dark chocolate chunks
1/2 cup (100g) toasted almonds
1) Start the quinoa cooking - add 1/2 cup water to the 1/2 cup grains, bring to boil, cover, turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes. If your almonds are not already toasted, toss them in a dry pan and toast over medium heat 10 minutes or so.
2) Turn on oven to 355F / 180C. Line pans with baking paper.
3) Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4) In a large bowl, cream together the soft butter, brown sugar, honey, and extracts. When smooth and fluffy, add in eggs one at a time. Slowly beat in flour. It will be a bit thick, as the quinoa will thin it out.
5) Stir in the semi-cooled quinoa,oats, cranberries, chocolate, and almonds. Spoon into large golf-balls and bake 14-16 minutes.