Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Met Him in a Cherry Tree...Part 1 (& Cherry Clafoutis Recipe)



I was in a cherry tree when I heard him for the first time.

"Hey, honey! What's your name?"

My head swiveled round. This cheeky opening line had to be directed at me. I was the only girl in that row of cherries. Tall above the branches, perched on a ladder, admiring the stellar panorama that New Zealand had to offer, I had been minding my own business - trying to pick fast, fill my buckets, and make some decent money that day. 

Or, at least enough money to cover the campsite fee, some organic lamb for dinner, a few beers (Speight's 'Old Dark' for you kiwi-readers), and enough petrol to traipse about elsewhere on the South Island that weekend.
 
Maybe it was the heat of mid-day, or the boredom of dealing with my own thoughts for too long, but I answered his call.

"Who me?"

"Yeah!"

"It's Josie."

And so it began. Small talk flew over the tree tops. I climbed down my ladder. I stood at the bottom of his. I noticed his odd, brown, leather work shoes. He began to descend. A baseball hat cast a deep shadow over most of his face. I gasped. He was cuuuute! 
 




For those who haven't come accross Cherry Clafoutis before, let me just say it is one brilliant use of cherries. No pitting involved, as leaving the pits in is a French tradition which is said to add to the depth of flavour. Real vanilla, eggs, cream, and toasted almonds tossed over top make for the perfect finish to a summer meal.

Continue to Recipe...

Recipe: Cherry Clafoutis
Serves 6
Eat with Riesling
Inspired by these bloggers Souvlaki for the Soul
                                           La Tartine Gourmande

3 eggs
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 - 4 cups cherries (pits left in)
1 cup milk
3 Tb potato starch
3 Tb flour
1/2 cup cream
seeds of 1 vanilla pod (how-to video)
zest of 1/2 lemon

1-2 Tb melted butter
powdered sugar
handful of minced toasted almonds
Heat oven to 180°C/350°F. Rinse and pick the stems off the cherries and set aside. Beat together the eggs and sugar. In a separate bowl whisk the milk and starch until dissolved. Add into the egg mix. Also beat in the flour, cream, vanilla seeds, and lemon zest.

Pour and spread the melted butter around a tart pan. Dump the cherries in (should be enough to nearly cover the pan in a single layer.) Pour the batter mix over top. Bake 35-45 minutes.

Cool (it's best eaten at room temperature or a little warmer) and sprinkle with almonds and finely sifted powdered sugar.

Dobrou Chut'/ Enjoy.
-- Jo






 




2 comments:

  1. Mm! This sounds tasty. I love what the pits taste like - I bet they do add incredible depth.

    I read the second part of this story, too. Cute :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...